So I made another thing. The only reason I’m really even talking about it is because what’s going on in Christchurch is so awful I can hardly bear it. Making new things (even simple things like this) is a good distraction.
So in an effort to cheer myself up I made a web thing that says Aroha (and basically anything else I choose) as many times as I ask it to. I did this in node.js, which I’ve never used before, so this is a good learning experience. I have no idea how to deploy anything in node yet, but once I learn I’ll put it up somewhere.
Obviously this is not something I expect to be used in anyway, but learning new things always puts my mind in a good place. It makes me think about the good things in life like change, growth and the new. Something we all need to be thinking more about, especially in dark times. I’m certainly not a perfect person, but I try hard to be a better one every day. We owe that to ourselves, we owe it to each other.
If you’re interested in this very random project, check it out on GitHub. If you feel like escaping for a bit then you’re welcome to add to it, or create your own, or help someone else to create one. Just remember to be kind to one another.
If you’re interested in the code you can take a look on GitHub. Of course, you can try the app for yourself. If you find anything wrong with it you can submit an issue.
Just a quick post to say I’ve updated the colour game with a new mode, Hex colours. To enable different modes I’ve changed a little bit of the UI. So the difficulty is now a dropdown making room for a matching mode dropdown. The beauty of this is I can add other modes (CMYK for example) without to much UI fuss.
To give this new model a try, just select Hex from that dropdown and the board will refresh. As always you can play the game and/or check out the code, which evertickels your fancy.
Tonight I got a bit of time to work on a new version of RGB colour game. This time I focused mostly on UI improvements so the game looks a little nicer than the first release. I’m particularly fond of the subtle CSS transition when you click on an incorrect colour. Little touches like this are what make a UI a bit loveable.
The idea of the game is the player is presented with up to six coloured squares and an RGB value. They player then has to pick the square that matches the RGB value. There’s an easy (3 colours) and hard (6 colours) mode too, so you can vary the challenge of the game.
I was helping a friend with a Keynote presentation deck. One of the tricker parts was that it needed an automatic 30 min on-screen timer to tick down. I’m something of a Keynote wizard, but I hadn’t made a timer before, but I happened upon this great tutorial on how to create one. Timers can be useful for all sorts of presentation types, particularly in classrooms and workshop situations. As easy as the process is to create one, it is quite time-consuming. So rather than do it once and be done with it, I thought I may as well share it.
I’ve been AFK for a while (holiday) so I just wanted to post the details of the final version of “night at the museum” I finished a few weeks ago that I delivered as part of my Udacity VR course.
The project went well (in that I passed) but I have to admit it was an exercise in restraint as much as anything. Like a lot of people, I tend to have big plans for everything I make but those plans are not always practical. This project was no exception. While I am ultimately happy with what I created, I do consider it very much a minimum viable project. When it comes to working on assignments like this there are a number of things to consider. First and foremost for me is available time.
I’m totally loving learning VR development, at this point, I spend almost all my free time doing it. But working full time and having a young family is a busy time in life, so if I want to progress projects I have to be efficient with my time or things can stagnate. Also, I currently pay for my studies via a monthly subscription so every extra month a project slips into comes at a significant extra cost.
Just to give you a few examples of compromises made on this project:
Playing content at each of the stations was fairly limited and doesn’t have much finesse. For example, the final build allows the user to play audio from all 5 stations at the same time, this leads to a fairly horrible experience if a user does this
I reused a museum model from a previous project because it was faster than building my own. This means it’s not really an ideal setup. Space feels a little constrained and doesn’t provide much room to move about. Most real museums are quite spacious so it didn’t really fit the aesthetic I was aiming for
I wasn’t that happy with the spatial audio implementation. The environment had a bit too much reverberated for my liking and given more time I would have improved this a bit
There’s no environmental audio, just the content of the stations. I’d preferred to add some atmosphere to the scene just to add the feel of the place
There are loads of other things that could be better about the final deliverable, but ultimately what was made “did the job”. Creating anything is always a series of compromises and I think delivering something you can live with and (resourcing permitting) can be built upon, is more important than getting things perfect. Perfection, after all, is the enemy of the shipped.